How complaints are made

All residential facilities should have a complaints procedure and many of them give a copy of this to prospective residents. The complaints form should also be freely available for you to pick up from a designated area in the facility, e.g. by the office, front door or lounge entrance.

Sometimes it’s not easy to make a complaint, especially if one feels in a less powerful position than those whom you wish to complain about. Sometimes it feels easier just to ‘let things be’ and do nothing about it. Unsatisfactory situations are more likely to be addressed, however, if appropriate people know about them. Discuss this with your service coordinator/NASC, social worker or advocate if possible so that you can decide what the best course of action is. It is a role of social workers and advocates to support you or to act on your behalf if you request this.

Complaints, which are channelled through to the Health and Disability Commissioner , are reviewed to determine the most appropriate course of action.  This may include a referral to another body (eg. MOH), use of advocacy, investigation or no action.  Reports of investigation findings may be published on the Health and Disability Commissioner’s website.

The Health and Disability Advocacy Service is a consumer advocacy service for all users of health and disability services. Independent health and disability advocates are located all over New Zealand.  Their role is to :

     inform consumers about their rights when using health and disability services

     assist consumers who have concerns and want to make a complaint

     offer education and training about consumer rights and provider duties to the providers of health and disability services.

The service is free, independent and confidential. Free phone 0800 555 050 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Alternatively contact your local office.

Reviewed: 20/08/2012

© Eldernet 2014